General Trades Estimator
Company: Veneklasen Construction
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Description:Position Title: General Trades Estimator/Project
Department: Estimating Department
About Our CompanyBased in Grand Rapids Michigan, Veneklasen
Construction has been building great structures since 1976.
Veneklasen Construction focuses on all the important things, like
taking great care of our customers to help them achieve their
vision while at the same time taking care of our employees, our
community, and the environment. Here, people are our priority. We
have been recognized as one of West Michigan's Best and Brightest
Companies to work for thirteen years and were named a National Best
and Brightest Company in 2022. We are a growing medium-sized
general contractor with a historically strong base of operations in
Michigan and a growing national presence.
Position SummaryThe General Trades Project Manager/Estimator plans,
directs, coordinates, and budgets activities concerned with General
Trades projects. Participates in the conceptual estimating and
development of a construction project and oversees its
organization, scheduling, and implementation.
ContactsFrequent contact with subcontractors, trades workers,
superintendents, other estimators, project managers, customers, and
members of the public.
Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with superintendents and foremen to plan, organize and
direct activities concerned with construction projects and
- Prepare, estimate, and maintain overall general trades schedule
and scopes of work.
- Work with Project Managers to communicate scopes of work
required by General Trades for each project.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and
performance standards within boundaries of company policy and
- Prepare and present construction documents to the field crews
for a smooth transition to project kickoff (i.e. field labor
report, installation directions, etc.)
- Initiate and maintain liaison with owners, project managers,
superintendents, and other contacts to facilitate project
- Monitor and control project through administrative direction of
on-site foremen to ensure project is completed on schedule and
- Represent company in project, progress and safety
- Perform material takeoffs and ordering of materials.
- Communicate with team throughout projects to ensure they have
the necessary information and materials to perform their scope of
- Perform conceptual estimates along with complete bid process on
General trades work - Create bid invitations, create and review
scopes, submit RFIs, distribute bid documents, qualify quotes,
create proposals, etc..
- Review, approve, and distribute submittals as required for
General Trades work.Core Competencies
Accountability (Personal) - Takes personal responsibility for
- Fulfills all commitments or revises commitments when
- Assumes personal and team responsibility for mistakes as well
- Takes initiative and does whatever it takes to meet established
deadlines and/or goals
- Advises key stakeholders of unavoidable delays.
- Shares knowledge to accomplish team tasks and keeps team
members informed.Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving - Ability to
understand an idea, situation, or problem by breaking it into
- Works to clearly understand an issue and can identify the cause
- Able to interpret and relate data to formulate a
- Reasonably and objectively evaluates facts and
- Anticipates, identifies and resolves problems or
- Identifies the multiple components of problems and their
- Develops steps and prioritizes criteria for optimum
- Evaluates the potential impact of possible solutions and
selects the most beneficial one.
- Responds promptly to shifts in direction, priorities, and
schedules.Attention to Detail - Ensures that tasks and processes
are accurate and complete.
- Pays close attention to the details of every aspect of project
or work assignment.
- Uses careful, thorough, consistent, and applicable methods,
keeping flexibility and change in mind when necessary.
- Checks and edits own work or gets peer review to ensure
accuracy.Communication SkillsListening - Listens effectively in a
variety of circumstances.
- Encourages others.
- Repeats important information to ensure accuracy.
- Able to maintain poise under stressful or challenging
- Openly receives additional information. Oral - Speaks
effectively in a variety of circumstances, sharing information and
ideas with others.
- Speaks in a succinct, logical, and clear manner.
- Able to present recommendations and supporting conclusions with
facts in order to influence the listener
- Encourages others.
- Understands the audience and command of language to address
different audiences.Written - Writing clearly, succinctly, and
- Writes in a way that makes abstract concepts, issues and
information clear and understandable
- Presents objective or subjective viewpoints and arguments
- Can organize information in logical sequences that lead the
reader to natural conclusions.
- Determines what information needs to be communicated.
- Adjusts writing style to specific audiences as needed.
- Reviews and edits written work to ensure
accuracy.Initiative/Action Oriented - Recognizes what needs to be
done and accomplishes it with minimal supervision.
- Independently identifies what must be accomplished.
- Sees opportunities for change and anticipates obstacles to take
action and enhance results.
- Acts promptly in resolving issues.
- Executes and implements plans and objectives.
- Seeks the right people and resources to accomplish the task at
- Discovers and applies new ways of doing things and new sources
of information. Planning & Organizing - Establishes appropriate
goals and priorities to accomplish objectives.
- Works effectively within established time frames and
- Prioritizes tasks for optimum productivity.
- Develops procedures, processes, and systems for order,
accuracy, efficiency and productivity to minimize waste, errors,
- Monitors implementation and tracks progress of plans to follow
up and makes adjustments as needed.
- Handles multiple tasks and issues simultaneously, remaining
flexible. Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelors or equivalent degree/experience combination.
- Computer Skills: proficiency using the internet to research
information; Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Project; Knowledge of
Timberline Estimating, Procore, and BlueBeam a plus.(Essential
functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act,
may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other
characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY and is not
a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by
positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions
within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it
necessarily list all possible duties that may be
Keywords: Veneklasen Construction, Grand Rapids , General Trades Estimator, Professions , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...