IT Support Desk Technician, Professional Services: No Benefits - Contingency
Company: Grand Rapids Community College
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: January 27, 2023
IT Support Desk Technician, Professional Services: No Benefits -
Date: November 7, 2022
Position Title: IT Support Desk Technician, Professional Services:
No Benefits - Contingency
Department: Customer Support Job ID:
Work Hours/Schedule: 28 hours per week, flexible schedule
(Flexibility is critical for this position. This position requires
the availability to work evenings and weekends.)
Compensation: $16.00 per hour
Reports to: IT Support Desk Team Coordinator
Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled
For information on "Who are Professional Services, No-Benefit
Employees?" please visit
Note: Flexibility is critical. This position requires the
availability to work evenings and weekends. Hours may expand at
different times throughout the year to accommodate campus
The IT Customer Support Computer Technician provides the "voice of
the customer" for the Information Technologies department and is
the front-line point of contact for all staff and student related
technology concerns and issues.
The IT Support Desk Technician's role is to provide a single point
of contact for end users to receive support and maintenance within
the College's desktop computing environment.
This position is part of a team, focused on providing exceptional
service that exceeds user expectations. The proper candidate is a
motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, a desire
to learn and expand technical proficiencies, and the ability to
work within a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide first-line technical support to GRCC's students,
faculty and staff via phone, chat, email, and face-to-face
- Resolve or triage incoming tickets from students, staff and
faculty concerning campus technology.
- Learn appropriate software, hardware, and cloud-based
applications used and supported by the college and remain current
on procedural changes.
- Support college enterprise applications such as campus email,
PeopleSoft, Blackboard, Office applications and other applications
used by GRCC.
- Collaborates with all IT staff to resolve customer and system
- Troubleshoot and document software, hardware, and network
service requests and issues.
- Troubleshoot and provide service to laptops and desktops, both
remotely and onsite.
- Develop technical support documentation for Customer Support
- Review Customer Support Knowledgebase articles as a part of the
KCS review cycle.
- Support Continual Service Improvement process by testing and
providing feedback for new services.
- Provision guest wireless connections to campus events.
- Provide initial and follow-up support for college printers,
peripherals and accessories.
- Follow through with end users to ensure customer
- Be available to other unit team members, especially student
workers for guidance and assistance.
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with HIPAA, FERPA, GRCC
policies, and related standards.
- Continually advance personal skill sets through college course
work, research, and other educational opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Minimum Associates Degree preferred, with concentration in
computer applications/networking or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 year (preferred) customer service background with
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, G Suite,
Blackboard, PeopleSoft, web pages.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot PC equipment and software
- Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal
communication skills to work effectively with people of diverse
ages, ethnic, sexual orientation and socio-economic
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regard to
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult
people and situations.
- Must have a good understanding of customer de-escalation
- Proficient in Internet navigational skills, with ability to
upload and download documents.
- Must be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating
initiative and strong problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and
complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Must be collegial and collaborative.
- Must possess a positive attitude.
- Project a professional image, including punctuality and good
- Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality and ethical
- Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing,
to assist students and staff in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal
relationships and effectively work as a member of a team.
- Ability to learn new computer software and maintain up-to-date
skills in computer technology.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to identify innovative approaches for service delivery
that meet our customer needs.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle pressure situations in a professional
- Possess mature judgment.
- Ability to learn and react quickly, make decisions and execute
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor environment.
- Ability to work in a busy office with frequent
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed including nights
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online
applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit
a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply
for this position will remain open until filled. Individuals with
diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community
College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and
working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each
person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal
educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race,
color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight,
national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial
status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities,
services, employment and advancement including admissions to,
access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required
by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all
aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment,
including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to
identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination
on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college
will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for
bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO
Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit:
Keywords: Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids , IT Support Desk Technician, Professional Services: No Benefits - Contingency, Professions , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!