GRCC Student Success Coach_External
Company: Grand Rapids Community College
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: September 12, 2019
Job ID 1005Location GRCC Main CampusFull/Part Time
Full-TimeRegular/Temporary RegularOrg Marketing Statement
**External posting, open to any qualified
Student Success CoachPosition Number: ------------
hours/52 weeksCompensation: ------------------ Meet and Confer -
Grade 11, $18.38 per hourReports to:
-------------------------------- Associate Director, College
Success CenterClose Date: --------------------------------
September 13, 2019SUMMARYThe Student Success coach will provide
direct services to students in support of the College's efforts to
increase student persistence, retention, certificate/degree
completion and successful transfer. This person will operate in a
case management student services role, focused on retention
management, outreach and intervention. Activities include
recruiting, assessing, placing, monitoring and following up with
students to ensure completion of program and degree. Specific
customized services include FastTrack for developmental education
students and Challenge Scholars for high school students among
other initiatives.This position requires high-touch case
management. Regular communications with students, facilitators and
faculty through various means such as e-mail, phone call, classroom
visits, and face to face conversation is expected. The Student
Success Coach is expected to be knowledgeable about community and
campus resources for referrals and creative strategies to encourage
and support students. This position may work in a variety of
offices at GRCC, including but not limited to College Success
Center, Academic Advising and Transfer Center, Academic Support
Center and Enrollment Center.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coach students using assessment information to build Student
- Develop and update student profiles to determine needed student
supports and services.
- Assist with providing intake assessments of individual student
skills and characteristics.
- Address student needs or challenges in response to early alert
- Track and monitor student progress toward goal
- Maintain current knowledge of academic and occupational degree
requirements, graduation requirements, transfer requirements and
pre-requisite requirements to move students toward completion.
- Assist students with course registration, admissions process,
financial aid and other related topics, as needed.
- Provide case management services:
- Refer student concerns to appropriate college service area,
community resources and services, as needed.
- Facilitate targeted interventions and soft skill workshops,
such as time management, to assist students in academic goal
- Encourage students to complete targeted interventions and
utilize campus resources.
- Monitor student classroom attendance, participation in targeted
interventions, and degree/transfer completion goals.
- Schedule appointments for students with campus and community
service providers, as needed.
- Record notes of student interactions, referrals, resources and
interventions as applicable.
- Engage in regular communication with faculty on support
strategies for students.
- Support college-wide activities such as orientation, Ready,
Set, Enroll, Re-enrollment Project, etc.
- Support the College's outreach efforts such as placement
testing and FastTrack promotion and recruitment at high schools and
other activities and events.
- Provide workshops to students and staff, both at GRCC and K-12
- Input and report student data as needed.
- Attend regular team meetings.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required.
Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the
essential functions of this position.
- Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security
Authority (CSA). CSA's will be trained and responsible for
reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by
the Clery Act.
- Other duties as assigned. JOB SPECIFICATIONSEducation
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree highly preferred.
- Degree in Higher Education, Social Work, or related field
- National Career Readiness Certificate preferred. Experience
- At least 1 to 3 years of work experience in higher education
required (preferably in student support services).
- Work experience with at-risk populations required.
- Experience with high school students preferred.
- Experience with cognitive and non-cognitive assessments
- Experience with bio psychosocial intake preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish - English preferred. --
- Ability to relate to diverse community college student
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to be
innovative and creative.
- Ability to organize work, handle multiple tasks, and meet
timelines in a multi-project environment.
- Proficient in use of electronic student information systems
(PeopleSoft), Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Scheduling and
Reporting System (SARS), and other Internet applications
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with
- Knowledge of data reporting systems; experience with data
tracking and preparing reports preferred.
- Ability to maintain a positive customer and student oriented
approach in a demanding work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as
part of a team.
- Proven experience in working with diverse populations both with
individuals and groups.
- Knowledge and experience with self-assessments such as GRIT and
- Compliance with FERPA guidelines.
- Understanding of the mission of community colleges.
- Ability to work collaboratively. Mental Demands
- Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently both
verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to effectively manage high stress student issues
- Must be comfortable with public speaking. Physical Demands
- The position requires long periods of sitting, standing,
reading and writing, listening and speaking.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds. Working Conditions
- Must be able to work flexible hours (i.e. evenings) including
- Must be able to commute between campus locations and travel
locally to participate in recruitment, testing, and intake
activities in area High Schools.
- The College Success Center setting is a shared office
environment (open cubicles) where coaches are accessible to
students at any given time. METHOD OF APPLICATIONGrand Rapids
Community College is only accepting online applications for this
position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs . The posting will remain
open until September 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Please include your
resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse
backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College
is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Grand Rapids Community College
creates an inclusive learning and working environment that
recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy
and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment
opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital
status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability,
political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics
in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement
including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation
in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is
committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities,
services and employment, including recruitment, selection,
retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order
to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected
characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of
retaliation against any person for bringing charges of
discrimination or participating in an investigation
Keywords: Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids , GRCC Student Success Coach_External, Other , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!