Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty
Company: Grand Rapids Community College
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty
Date: August 15, 2022
Title: Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty
This position is represented by the Faculty Association
Work schedule: 8 hours per week
Reports to: Director of the Library & Learning Commons (LLC)
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
This faculty member provides essential library functions with an
emphasis on professional level information literacy instruction in
the classroom and at the reference desk.
Essential Job Functions
- In collaboration with colleagues, classroom instructors, and
the Information Literacy Librarian, design, teach, and promote
general and subject-focused instruction sessions that support the
- Contextualize instruction based on course learning
- Teach database and web searching and evaluation.
- Participate in the development and delivery of library
instruction to online and distance learners.
- Create and maintain SubjectGuides and other instructional
materials using web, presentation, and course management
- Participate continuously administration of learning
- Provide general and in-depth reference services to GRCC Library
& Learning Commons (LLC) patrons in person and via electronic
venues through assigned desk hours (including some evening and
weekend hours), and using an appropriate balance of print and
- In collaboration with LLC faculty, department liaisons, and the
Acquisitions Specialist, participate in materials selection,
evaluation of the collection, and de-accession.
- Cultivate collegial working relationships within the LLC.
- Support the mission, vision, values and strategic priorities of
the LLC and the College.
Education and Credentials
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited
- Experience with reference and information literacy in higher
- Knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for evaluating and
integrating emerging library technologies.
- Demonstrated experience maximizing the effectiveness,
efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning
experiences through intentional instructional design.
- Experience with the Blackboard Course Management system
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both collaboratively and
independently in a diverse, fast-paced, service oriented
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiencies in office productivity software.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum
- Understanding of and appreciation for the community college
philosophy and student population.
- Ability to teach college-level material to high school students
as part of a middle college or dual enrollment program.
- Ability to work with diverse student populations who represent
a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and
supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment
and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule
- Practices good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult
situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Must have the physical capacity for lifting up to 25lbs.
- Meet professionally recognized standards related to physical
strength, mobility, hearing, visual discrimination, coordination,
manual dexterity and communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate the mental health necessary to safely
engage in the librarian discipline as determined by professional
standards of practice.
- Ability to work with changing instructional technologies used
in and out of the classroom.
- Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule.
- Library environment in an academic setting.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online
applications for this position at GRCC job postings. Submit a cover
letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for
this position will Open until filled. Individuals with diverse
backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College
is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and
working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each
person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal
educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race,
color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight,
national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial
status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities,
services, employment and advancement including admissions to,
access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required
by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all
aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment,
including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to
identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination
on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college
will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for
bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO
Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit:
Keywords: Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids , Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty, Other , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!