Company: Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: January 9, 2021
JOB NUMBER: HEA-20-001JOB TITLE: Medical DirectorSupervisor:
Health and Human Services DirectorStatus: ExemptPosting Ends:
02/04/2021 8:30 am***This position will be required to travel to
NHBP Health Clinics located in Battle Creek, Fulton, and Grand
RapidsPOSITION SUMMARYUnder the direction of the Health and Human
Services Director this position is responsible for the clinical
oversight of the medical services offered by the NHBP Health and
Human Services Department. The incumbent is responsible to support
the Health and Human Services Director with the strategic planning
and operation of the medical services offered at all NHBP
locations. As a key member of the leadership team, this position is
responsible for collaborating with NHBP Health and Human Services
Department management, medical teams and other service teams to
provide the highest quality of patient care possible. This position
is also responsible to provide professional medical care in an
ambulatory outpatient multi-disciplinary environment. The Medical
Director provides clinical and administrative supervision of the
providers in collaboration with the Clinical Managers. The Medical
Director represents the providers to the Health and Human Services
Director. The Medical Director provides medical advice and counsel
to the Health and Human Services Director related to the medical
services provided by NHBP.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe Nottawaseppi Huron
Band of the Potawatomi reserves the right to change, amend, add,
delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities,
and positions titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the
government. The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by individuals
assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills
required of personnel so classified.
- Participates directly in the medical care of patients,
performing functions to the extent delineated by the medical staff
- Provides assessment, diagnosis and treatment of all types of
illnesses as required, changes or modifies treatment plan.
- Secures a health and developmental history from the patient or
parent; record findings and makes critical evaluation.
- Order, perform, and interpret tests and analyze records,
reports, and examination information to diagnose patients'
- Monitor patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate
treatments as necessary.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed
treatments with patients.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners
- Provides counseling, guidance and health instructions to
patients, families and groups.
- Works in collaboration with available resources and
professional disciplines, including nursing, behavioral health,
social services, case management, etc. for quality integrated
- Reviews, develops, consults and educates staff on clinical
protocols, procedures and clinic administrative practices within
the HHS Department in compliance with current accepted professional
- Complies with established clinical protocols, accepted
standards of care, confidentiality and privacy laws, and policies
and procedures of the NHBP in performing duties.
- Assists the Department in ensuring that the medical records
systems support the medical care/treatment of patients.
- Coordinates leave and continuing education requests with the
Clinical Managers and the other medical providers well in advance
to ensure adequate coverage of clinic service hours.
- Participates in clinical team conferences, quality assurance,
planning, and other types of meetings or activities designed to
review, improve, enhance or expand medical services.
- Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job
training, and the orientation of staff as requested.
- Assists in performance evaluations of the medical team.
- Supervises, advises, counsels and disciplines all medical
providers in conjunction with the Health and Human Services
Director and in accordance to NHBP policy.
- Participates in recruitment/retention activities as
- Ensures that appropriate documentation of health care occurs
within practice and other providers.
- Provides input into the operating budget for the medical
- Provides consultation to the Health and Human Services Director
and Journey to Wellness Committee/ Tribal Council.
- Travels when necessary to fulfill the department needs and
attends meetings as necessary to represent NHBP and/or the Health
and Human Services Department medical services.
- Maintains appropriate and healthy working relationships with
staff, patients, and community members.
- Maintains licensure in the State of Michigan by attending
approved continuing education activities also maintains DEA
- As directed by the Health and Human Services Director, performs
other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and
programmatic goals and objectives.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSAn
applicant's education, training and experience must be sufficient
to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the ability to
successfully perform each of the essential functions. The
requirements listed below are generally representative of the
education, experience, and skills and/or ability required to enable
one to successfully perform the essential functions associated with
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the
United States approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year
of the applicant's graduation.
- Valid Medical License from the State of Michigan, with no
exclusions or sanctions listed by OIG.
- Valid DEA License.
- Completion of a Residency in Primary care (Internal Medicine,
Pediatrics, Family Medicine, or Internal Medicine-Pediatrics) and
Board Certified, holding a current Maintenance of Certification in
- Certified Medical Review Officer.
- Hold M.A.T. Waiver certification
- 5 years of experience in Medical Subspecialty.
- 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Compliant with use of electronic health record
- Ability to understand, gain knowledge and appreciate the
differences with the Native American culture and customs.
- Willingness to develop a comprehensive understanding of Trauma
Informed Care and apply to daily functions.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license with good driving
record; GSA certifiable.
- Must be able to travel.
- Must be able to successfully complete and pass a comprehensive
background investigation and drug screening; must not have been
found guilty of, or pled guilty or no contest to, any felony or
misdemeanor offense under federal, state or tribal law involving
crimes of violence, sexual assault, molestation, prostitution, or
other crimes against persons, or offenses committed against
children; must be able to successfully pass a drug screening.
- Ability to work well independently and with team members and
other staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to comprehend and abide by Tribal, federal and other
relevant environmental regulations/codes.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must be able to adjust schedule as needed or required.
- Ability to organize and maintain electronic and physical
- Proficient utilizing Microsoft; Word, Excel, Access and other
- Capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment with
capacity to change priorities quickly.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and
- Professional demeanor and appearance.SECURITY SENSITIVEThis
position may contain information that is security sensitive and
thereby subject to additional provisions. All information obtained
will be protected under IHS/HIPAA policy rules and
- 5 years of medical practice within a Tribal Community.INDIAN
PREFERENCETribal preference will be applied in accordance with the
NHBP Indian Preference in Employment Code which requires that
preference in employment be afforded to NHBP members,
spouse/parents of NHBP members and Native Americans who meet the
minimum qualifications and can successfully perform the essential
functions for the position.
Keywords: Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi, Grand Rapids , Medical Director, Healthcare , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!