Company: Mission Point Healthcare Services
Location: Big Rapids
Posted on: February 22, 2021
The Recreation Director develops and implements wellness focused
recreation programs to seniors; including physical fitness,
cognitive enrichment, and varied social programming. The Recreation
Director should assess residents' interests, plan and manage events
and activities both inside and outside of the community to provide
quality activities programing during the weekdays, weekends, and
holidays. Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans individual and group activities daily, including weekend
and at least two evenings per week. Programming will be in
accordance with the various components outlined in the Activity
- Conducts, supervises or arranges for the implementation of
programs by a qualified staff member, a Recreation Assistant, or a
- Prepares a monthly activity calendar in advance to be posted on
the first day of each month. Ensures that the professional large
print calendar is posted in a prominent location in the building
and is printed in at least 12-point font.
- Ensure that all residents are made aware of group programs by
personal invites, and/or by posting smaller calendars in each
- Maintains records of group participation and one-on-one
- Coordinates resident outings and special events, including but
not limited to the annual community picnic and Christmas
- Coordinates or assists with the setup and take-down of
necessary equipment if needed.
- Store, clean and use all activity equipment in accordance with
good safety practices. Report equipment and building fixtures which
- Communicates special diet restrictions and eating disorders to
staff prior to offering refreshments and special food items.
- Know the limitations of residents and staff or volunteers when
taking individuals or groups out of the care area and report
whereabouts to the Charge Nurse.
- Coordinates group programs with other departments such as Food
and Nutrition Services, Environmental Services, and Clinical
- Encourages and coordinates the use of outside entertainment for
programming on a periodic or routine basis. Write thank you notes
and express appreciation for services provided.
- Conducts ongoing evaluation of group programs to ensure
activities offered match the expressed interests of the populations
currently residing in the facility.
- Provides input into the annual preparation of the department
budget. Inform the Administrator of any needs for additional or
replacement equipment items as necessary. Purchase departmental
supplies within budgeted guidelines.
- Purchases supplies as needed according to the current
- Conducts fundraisers and asks for community donations to assist
with supplies, purchasing, and community trips.
- Organizes and supervises the development of the Volunteer
Program, including: adherence to current volunteer program policy,
volunteer job description and orientation, maintain records of
volunteer attendance and required trainings, provide ongoing
trainings as needed, and coordinate volunteer recognition.
- Conducts specific volunteer recruitment efforts on a regular
- Participates in various community-minded programs conducted at
the facility, as well as in the local community as requested.
Performs other Public Relations tasks, including visiting local
church groups and community service organizations as a member of
the marketing committee as requested.
- Assists in the development and completion of a facility
newsletter to be sent to the local physicians, other service
providers, families, and current residents.
- Visits each resident upon admission to assess the Resident's
needs, skills, and interests in accordance with the physician's
order for activities. Participates in the completion of a
comprehensive assessment and periodic reviews at least quarterly
and modifies the plan of care to reflect the Resident's expressed
interests, needs, or current functioning level.
- Integrates the Resident's goals with other elements of the plan
of care and attends care conference meetings at leas quarterly or
- Writes progress notes in the Medical Record Chart under the
"Activities" tab regarding progress toward goals, participation,
and/or changes in needs or interests at least quarterly.
- Assists with discharge planning and initiates community
referrals when appropriate. Completes discharge recap of stay as
- Adheres to Resident Rights and reports any suspected deviations
to the Administrator.
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA
- Assists residents with the development and organization of a
Resident Council group. Makes sure that all residents are informed
of the time and place of the meetings. Informs all new residents of
the opportunity to attend and participate in Resident Council
- Serves as the liaison with the Resident Council group and
attends and facilitates meetings when requested by the residents.
Informs the Administrator and the Department Heads of concerns,
suggestions and problems identified by the group for the
- Coordinate the election of open positions on the Resident
Council, including but not limited to President, Vice President,
Treasurer, and Secretary.
- Completes Resident Council minutes when requested by the
residents and maintains the Resident Council minutes according to
the current regulations/standards of practice.
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and the company's Infection
Control Procedures in all aspects of work and performance.
- Attends staff and department meetings as scheduled, including
morning meetings and QAPI committee meetings.
- Attends workshops for continuing education as approved by the
- Performs other tasks and functions as required. Mission Point's
Expectations of all Employees:
- Adheres to all Mission Point Policies and Procedures.
- Conducts self in a manner consistent with Mission Point's Core
Values at all times.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all
- Consistently reports to work on time and prepared to perform
the duties of the position.
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload
- Maintains the privacy of all patient information and company
- Treat residents, family members, visitors, and team members
with respect and dignity.
- Able to safely perform the essential functions of the job with
or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must maintain an active license or the required
certification(s) (if required by the job) Supervisory
Responsibilities: The Recreation Director will interview, hire,
train, supervise, and conduct annual reviews for the Recreation
Assistants and the community volunteers, as well as perform
employee and volunteer counseling, retraining, disciplinary action
as needed. In addition, the Recreation Director will prepare the
Recreation Assistant's schedules, review time cards for accuracy
and approval, and conduct regular departmental meetings as
scheduled. Qualifications Required/Desired Qualifications:
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or an activities
professional who is eligible for certification; OR
- Two years of experience in a social or recreational program
within the last 5 years, one of which was a full-time therapeutic
activities program; OR
- Qualified occupational therapist or occupational therapy
- Has satisfactorily completed a training course approved by the
state. Specific skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Knowledge of a variety of activities suitable for older adults
and others who may have physical, behavioral, or mental
- Be familiar with local, community, and regional recreational
areas for older adult activities and social needs.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively with
interdepartmental staff, patients, and families.
- Requires ability to supervise volunteers.
- Plan, implement, and work within a departmental budget.
- Must have good writing skills. Basic business computer
- Must have or be able to obtain a chauffeur's license and
provide own transportation.
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings or
weekends. Other Special Requirements:
- Manual dexterity required to operate modern office
- Ability to travel as needed or assigned.
Keywords: Mission Point Healthcare Services, Grand Rapids , Recreation Director, Executive , Big Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!