Body Shop Mechanic - Diesel Shop
Company: Star Truck Rentals, Inc.
Location: Grand Rapids
Posted on: November 9, 2019
This is a 2nd shift position with flexible hours - Monday-Friday.
Diesel Body Shop Technician A Body Shop Technician will repair or
replace damaged body parts back to Pre-Accident Condition with
factory and dealership specifications. Quality repairs need to meet
or exceed the original factory fit and finish. The end result
should be an invisible repair. Responsibilities
- Follow supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore
or replace and how much time the job should take.
- Review damage reports, prepare or review repair cost estimates,
and plan work to be performed.
- Select paint according to company requirements, and match
colors of paint following specified color charts.
- Mix paints to match color specifications or vehicles' original
colors, then stir and thin the paints, using spatulas or power
- Remove grease, dirt, paint, or rust from vehicle surfaces in
preparation for paint application, using abrasives, solvents,
brushes, blowtorches, washing tanks, or sandblasters.
- Pour paint into spray guns and adjust nozzles and paint mixes
for proper paint flow and coating thickness.
- Monitor painting operations to identify flaws, such as blisters
or streaks, and correct their causes.
- Sand vehicle surfaces between coats of paint or primer to
remove flaws and enhance adhesion for subsequent coats.
- Disassemble, clean, and reassemble sprayers and power
equipment, using solvents, brushes, and cloths for cleaning
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers and
decorative / finish coatings.
- Remove accessories from vehicles, such as chrome or mirrors,
and mask other surfaces with tape or paper in order to protect them
- Dispose of hazardous waste in an appropriate manner according
to company policy.
- Review each repair order, work order, and estimators notes to
understand repairs needed prior to beginning work on the
- All repairs must be completed according to the documentation on
the repair order.
- Knowledge of the manufacturers and technical repair
- Conduct initial teardown of vehicle.
- Identify parts for cut-in and edging.
- Perform all repair procedures according to company policy and
- Perform and sign-off on all quality check before vehicle
- Re-assemble painted vehicle and parts.
- Evacuate and recharge A/C systems.
- Work with lesser skilled technicians in developing repair
skills. Basic Qualifications
- Basic knowledge of detailing of vehicles/trucks.
- Keen eye for details and quality results of prepping the
- Must be agile enough to work inside cabs and engine
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Vocational Training or applicable experience, preferred.
- Experience with shop safety, shop work practices, mechanical
systems and use of all hand and power tools.
- Computer keyboarding skills and basic understanding of computer
diagnostic systems is desirable.
- Valid drivers license with CDL A, preferred.
- Four years body shop experience, preferred. Physical
Requirements: The physical requirements described below are
representative of those that must be met by an associate to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to lift, push and pull up to 100 lbs.
- The associate must regularly be able to get in and out of small
to large truck equipment. This includes but is not limited to
climbing steps to sit in driver and passenger seat, lifting roll
doors on the back of cabs and trailers, bending down to view the
truck from all angles, etc.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close
vision, Distance vision, Peripheral visor, Depth perception and
Ability to adjust focus.
- Associate will be required to visually inspect equipment in all
weather conditions and inside shop bays when needed.
- Associate will be required to read a series of numbers in the
exact order of placement to safely and adequately manage truck
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is
regularly required to stand, walk, climb, crawl, crouch, sit, talk
Keywords: Star Truck Rentals, Inc., Grand Rapids , Body Shop Mechanic - Diesel Shop, Engineering , Grand Rapids, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!