Medical Office Assistant
Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Summary General Summary
Under direct supervision of Dr. Khan this position will be
responsible for ordering testing and referrals for ongoing care and
treatment, tracking and monitoring the patient recall list,
obtaining insurance authorizations for time sensitive testing, and
maintaining appropriate documentation. If applicable, works as the
clinical navigator for patient education and counseling regarding
all testing and procedures. Performs specialist referrals included
in the patient's treatment plan. Prepares and assembles materials
regarding testing and procedures to be provided to the patients.
Also, performs administrative duties to ensure efficient services
and working relationships with other MidMichigan Health departments
as well as external departments. Tracks tests results and
communicates with the provider for follow up to the patient. The
expectations outlined in this job description may vary slightly
depending on the practice in which you are assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- (30%)* Under the direction of the providers, orders testing and
specialist referrals as outlined in the patient's treatment plan.
Builds and opens clinic templates and changes visit types as needed
for clinic flow, Follows up on appointments and testing. Obtains
insurance authorizations as necessary. Coordinates with practice
manager to schedule staff roles appropriately for clinic.
- (30%)* Assist patients with education, counseling and
navigation of the health system and terminology from point of
testing through their courses of treatment. Counsel patients and
families on their medical condition, individual plan of care, and
use of prescribed treatment/medications. Coordinate patient care
with other treatment team members. Possess an in-depth knowledge of
the specialty, diagnoses, and disease processes treatment options.
Coordinates and schedules appointments as appropriate. Monitors if
patient is non-compliant with treatment plan and appointments.
- (20%)* Under the direction of the physician, conducts daily
coordination with other specialists and departments to determine
appropriate course for patient's treatment plan.
- (20%)* Reviews patient chart to pull necessary documentation
for ongoing care and treatment. Tracks patient care throughout the
course of the treatment plan outlined by the physicians. Triages
all incoming clinical phone calls and reviews testing results with
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Follow up on EMR task list and work list items as
- Acts independently, using a high knowledge base of the
specialty in order to performs decision making using discretion and
judgment which requires critical thinking and communication skills,
frequently in stressful situations.
- Obtains insurance authorizations for time sensitive testing and
for ongoing care and treatment.
- Reviews insurance rejections or requests with patient,
insurance biller and/or customer service representative.
- Under the direction of a provider order, is involved patient
testing and care based on evolving and changing guidelines.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe environment for
patients and co-workers.
- A minimum of 3 years in clinical experience in a health care
facility or medical office and/or specialty practice.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality and ensures patient's
rights in accordance with proper procedures and in compliance with
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act).
- Performs administrative duties, such as, organizes office,
orders supplies, fills out insurance forms, creates correspondence,
arranges hospital admission, answers the telephone,
updates/files/scans information into patient's medical records.
- Maintains a system for accurately recording, coding, and
reporting patient conditions in the medical record. Participate in
annual review for quality and completeness.
- Processes all diagnostic testing reports and verifies all
provider Electronic Signature Authorizations are completed insuring
copies are sent to referring physicians if needed. Faxes copies of
reports and requested information as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Certifications, and Licensures
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Prefer completion of an Associates Degree in a Healthcare
- Certified Medical Assistant
- In conjunction with high school diploma as required by Medicare
and Medicaid Services (CMS) to be employed through MidMichigan
Physicians Group all positions that require clinical access to the
Electronic Medical Record, must possess one of the following active
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through American Medical
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through American Association
of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- OR equivalent Medical Assistant Credential such as (Certified
Clinical Medical Assistant CCMA, etc.).
- Medical First Responder, Emergency Medical Tech
Basic/Specialist, or Paramedic though the State of Michigan.
- Registered Radiologic Technologist through American Registry of
Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
Physical/Mental Requirements and Typical Working Conditions
- Exposure to stressful situations, including those involving
public contact, as well as, trauma, grief and death.
- Able to wear personal protective equipment that includes latex
materials or appropriate substitute if required for your
- Is able to move freely about facility with or without an
assisted device and must be able to perform the functions of the
job as outlined in the job description.
- Overall vision and hearing is necessary with or without
- Frequently required to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.
May require frequent postural changes such as stooping, kneeling or
- Some exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially
infectious material. Must follow MidMichigan Health bloodborne
pathogen and TB testing as required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, get along with others, work
independently, regular and predictable attendance and ability to
- Overall dexterity is required including handling, reaching,
grasping, fingering and feeling. May require repetition of these
movements on a regular to frequent basis.
- Physical Demand Level: Sedentary. Must be able to occasionally
(0-33% of the workday) lift or carry 0-10 lbs.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Grand Rapids , Medical Office Assistant, Administration, Clerical , Clare, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!